Butter, flour, sugar and a little salt. There’s not much that’s simpler than Shortbread. Add Bella Bees Wildflower Honey and cinnamon sugar for a perfect afternoon tea biscuit.
Wildflower Honey Shortbread
Butter, flour, sugar and a little bit of salt. There's not much that's simpler, and it's the purity of the flavours that makes Shortbread so wonderful. 🐝 Even if you are not a good baker, this one is hard to get wrong, and when you add Bella Bees Wildflower Honey and cinnamon-laced powdered sugar, it is a perfect afternoon tea biscuit.
Servings: 25 Bars
- 22cm square metal cake pan
- 1½ cups Unsalted butter at room temperature For a Vegan Shortbread us Coconut Oil in place of Butter
- 1 cup Powdered or Castor sugar Keep two Tablespoons back for Sprinkling
- ½ tsp Sea Salt
- 3 cups Self Raising Flour
- ½ cup Bella Bees Wildflower Honey You can also use Creamed Honey for a thicker layer
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- In a mixer with the standard paddle, mix the butter, 1 cup of the sugar and the salt until combined.
- Mix for 1 to 2 minutes, being careful not to over mix. With the mixer running, gradually add the flour and mix just until the dough comes together.
- Divide the dough into quarters. Shape one quarter into a small log, about 2 inches in diameter, and cover with plastic wrap. Combine the remaining quarters and shape into a disc. Wrap the disc in plastic wrap and refrigerate both portions for 1 hour until firm.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Unwrap the disc of dough and press it into a buttered, 22 cm square metal cake pan, working the dough until it evenly covers the bottom of the pan. Prick the dough all over with a fork and set aside.
- Unwrap the small log of dough and roll it into a rough 22- 26 cm rectangle (this does not need to be perfect -- the dough when baked will be crumbled as topping for the bars). Place the dough on an unbuttered baking pan.
- Place the cake pan on the top rack of the oven and place the baking pan on the centre rack. Bake the baking pan shortbread until lightly browned along the edges, about 15 to 20 minutes, and the cake pan shortbread until golden brown, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Transfer each pan when done to a cooling rack to cool completely. Run a knife along the edges of the cake pan to loosen the shortbread as it cools.
- When the shortbread is cooled, spread the honey evenly over the cake pan shortbread. Crumble the smaller shortbread and sprinkle 1 cup of the crumbs over the honey.Lightly press the topping into the shortbread. Cut the shortbread into 5 rows in both directions to make 25 squares. Combine the remaining powdered sugar with the cinnamon and sift over the shortbread before serving.